This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Monday, April 18, 2011

The Boyfriend Look - T-Shirt Makeover

The idea behind the Boyfriend Look is simple: wear your boyfriends clothes. Or for those without boyfriends: make it look like you do. Baggy jeans paired with sneakers (or high heels for a feminine touch), shirt and blazer all a bit too large. It doesn't mean you can wear anything he wears - the goal is to wear it and still look feminine. Emma from Daily Clothes Fix is really rocking it with her work versions of this look here and here. I saw my opportunity of getting in touch my masculine side when Stef threw away some of his T-shirts. I forgot to take 'before' pics, so you'll just have to believe me when I say this was a regular men's medium T-shirt!


The shirt and shoes are courtesy of the boyfriend, the rest is mine. (That big suitcase holds my fabric stash and is too heavy to actually carry!)
I took in the sides a bit (not too much, it should be a bit slouchy), cut off the sleeves and cut the back into a racerback pattern. Then I lined it with some black bias with a lacey edge. I knew bias tape is sturdy and not perfect for hemming curved edges, but I was stubborn and used it anyway. You can see below how it won't lay nice and flat, but it doesn't really bother me in this case. I made three small pleats at the armhole instead of the usual bust dart, to get a nice curve.

I have done a T-shirt makeover before (more about that some other time) but I really like the outcome this time. A perfect shirt for some casual outdoor fun, don't you think?

3 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love the slogan too. This is another one of those looks I really admire on other people but haven't been able to wrap my head around for myself. Maybe someday.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool remake. I wonder if there is a 'girlfriend look'...remake my girlfriends clothes...may have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look amazing here. I love the remake of the tee, the lace is wonderful and the slogan makes it. Thanks so much for the shout out. I feel so honoured.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!