This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

This Is Not It

What I wanted was a soft, flowy maxi skirt. What I got was a stiff sack that got stuck between my legs when I walk.

What I wanted


What I got

I had a feeling the fabric was too stiff for this purpose, but I was stubborn and went with it anyway. I obviously did not have this Burdastyle pattern at hand at the time. The pattern is basically one big piece of fabric with a seam at the back, gathered heavily at the front and back, and gathered more lightly around the hips. I serged it to a jersey waistband so I woulnd't have to make a closure. After seeing the pictures I did some modifications to see if I could fix it.



What do you mean, you can't see the difference? I obviously tried to fix the bulkyness by eliminating the small gathers at the hips. OK I know, it's still a sack. I did try to wear it out to dinner but Stef wouldn't let me. OK that's enough about this failure. Next, please!
P.S. I do like what I did to the top. It's a stretched out spaghetti strap top that I bound together at the starting point of the straps. 
P.P.S. I also like the blues together. Might try this combo again. Just the colour, not the outfit.

12 comments:

  1. I see what you mean-it's a cool looking pattern but this is the wrong fabric for it... Are you going to try it in a lighter fabric? Love the blue top- you must model it with the yellow skirt (or something yellow). And I'm sorry you had trouble commenting-it means either someone has labelled you as spam, or your cookies aren't enabled because with Akisment you only have to 'log in' once.. anyway I think I've fixed it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it has something to do with having two wordpress accounts. Or maybe even three. I lost count and passwords :)

      Delete
    2. Yay and your comment worked! BTW I won't be making that dress again so if you want I can send you the pattern I traced if you like. I traced size M which is 158 cm (Height) and 82/62/88 for the bust/waist/ hips. The only change I made was tracing only one sleeve instead of two (I just flipped over the sleeve I traced and used the other side for the other sleeve-so it's got markings on the front and back).

      Delete
    3. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! I think we are quite alike in measurements, except that I'm a bit taller.

      Delete
  2. I like the colour and the look (minus hip gathers- I could tell!) But yeah, maybe a different fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the top! And agree that the two blues together are a great combo. As for the skirt... what can I say? Hilarious and brave. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's so funny that you all see the mistake immediately. I've tried to convince myself for a good two days that it did work :)

      Delete
    2. It's not a mistook it's a muslin. XD

      Delete
  4. Tal vez a medida que la utilices deje de estar tiesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea, but I don't think that will work. Anyway that would mean I have to actually wear it for a while, and I don't Stef will let me ;)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!