This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Perfect Blouse

I am proud to present to you: the best thing I have made - EVER.



The pattern is Burdastyle 7/2012 132. It's been a long time since I made something from a pattern. I was a good girl and followed nearly all the instructions, did not take shortcuts, and made the inside look as pretty as the outside. All the seams are flat felled and topstitched. I made my first plackets and they turned out great! I was a bit scared of them at first, because the Burda instructions were completely unclear. They could have been written in Chinese for all I knew (I was going to say Klingon first. I've been watching too much Big Bang Theory). So I used Peter's instructions for the Negroni plackets to understand how they work. It was not so hard after all!




I can't tell you how happy I am with the result! The stitching is neat, the buttons evenly spaced, it's a style that has been on my list for a long time, the fabric is fun and great for summer and perfect for this pattern, it was only 3,- and it hardly creases. It can also be worn both with rolled up and long sleeves, loose for casual purposes and tucked in for work. White is still a bit tricky though. Half an hour after finishing I cut my hand and almost bled all over the shirt. The next day I spilled sateh sauce on it. I don't even dare to drink red wine or eat pasta sauce when I wear it...


I can see now what no stress sewing does for the quality of your endresult. I had ten days off, with nothing else to do but sew. I sewed this shirt in three days, sewing about 4 hours a day. Normally I just have one day and I like to get something finished at the end. 4 hours a day is ideal though, and now I've seen what a difference it makes not to be in a hurry, I might just take more time from now on.

What is the most perfect thing you've ever made?

(15:60 #4)

23 comments:

  1. What a perfect stitching! It looks so professional and neat, very well done! I love blouses with this kind of collar.
    The most perfect thing I´ve never made is my very first winter dress (blogged here http://masustak-eguzkitan.blogspot.com.es/2012/03/parisian-girl-in-elorrio.html ) but I sewed it with my aunt´s help :-) It was a great project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The collar is on of my favourite things too! Doesn't it feel great to accomplish something that feels perfect? Even if you got some help. I remember that dress, it certainly looks great!

      Delete
  2. It looks great. You should make another while it's fresh in your mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I could fill my wardrobe with these. It would look good in all sorts of colours.

      Delete
  3. It looks great, I love blouses like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't found THE perfect thing yet, I'm still searching for ;-)
    But i like your blouse, although it's white!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think something could also be perfect because it is the best that you can accomplish at the moment! So everybody could make something like that at any time. This shirt is probably not objectively perfect, but it is the highest level of quality I can achieve right now.

      Delete
  5. I love your blouse. I am looking for a simple pattern like that with interesting details, I might go back to my july issue of Burda.

    Congratulation, it's a very nice blouse. And perfect finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks perfectly lovely to me! very nice blouse. I recently made the Colette Iris shorts, and I felt like they came together very well--straight clean seams (stitching) and pretty well-fitting. Very satisfying when a garment turns out well and is totally wearable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's why we sew! Love your name btw, wish I had come up with that :)

      Delete
  7. This looks perfect, indeed! I love the fabric you chose -- those spots, the flowiness, and anything that doesn't wrinkle is awesome. Can I ask what kind of fabric it is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know! I'd say cotton but there must be something else in it as it doesnt wrinkle. I got it from the market, no labels. I should do a burntest, maybe that will tell me something.

      Delete
  8. Love it! Yea the collar is awesome and I love the pattern-fabric combination. Also the way you've styled it with rolled sleeves. And the garden/ front yard(?). And the yellow background of your blog-I feel happy! I tend to like my most recent make the most but I'd say for being perfect (ly-the way I wanted it to be) either my Scarab dress or Verdant coat would make the grade..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in France, unfortunately this is not my frontyard :)

      Delete
  9. that is fabulous -- it looks gorgeous and you are glowing in it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Wow you are all so nice :)

      Delete
    2. Maybe you don't know this actress, but it is so "Charlotte Gainsbourg"! An coming from a french girl it is a big compliment. It's a very nice shirt.

      Delete
    3. I like Charlotte Gainsbourg! I don't know much about her style though, I should check that out!

      Delete
  10. Just checked out the style on the Burda browse-through, did you grade this pattern at all? I know it's a unisex style but did you just sew a straight size or make did you have to make changes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not make any changes. It's sized in men's sizes starting from 46, but it says 46 is the same as women's 40, so I made a 40. I would actually make some changes if I were to make this for a man...

      Delete
  11. whoa, that looks expertly done! kudos to you on such a great blouse!

    ReplyDelete
  12. absolutely smashing!! i LOVE that fabric and the entire shirt feels like it would be the perfect spring/summer shirt. as for the most perfect thing i've done.... hmm either the floral dress or the gingham dress i think.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!