This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Ode to Grace and the 90's

The '90s and '80s seem to be the most hated decades in fashion (and maybe in music, too). But I must say, maybe it's because I grew up in them, but I do have a weak spot for those styles. What I wanted with this sweater is to make it look like it came right out of that time. A weird fabric, shapeless sweater, with a high neckline and cuff and hem bands. When I showed the result to Stef, he said it looked like I got it in a thrift store. That's a bingo!





My inspiration came from a girl that was in my class last year in Norway, Grace. She always wore the most quirky sweaters, those big knitted ones, with big acorn appliquees or just weird colours. Google 90's sweaters and that's what they looked like. The most wonderful thing was that she wore them because she liked them, not to make a statement or because she had no idea what she was wearing. She wore them in the most natural way and I loved it. So this sweater is also an ode to her, because when I saw this fabric I immediately thought of her.



I drafted the pattern myself. Man, those raglan sleeves cost me a good 4 hours to draft. I've seen much easier methods online but I have to follow my teachers instructions, right? I can't judge (yet) which method is the best. The sleeves have a shoulder dart, which makes them follow the curve of your shoulder and it makes the sweater a bit more fitted around that area. I also drafted the peter pan collar using Gertie's tutorial. I had to draft it twice, the first one was way too small. It's the difference between woven and stretch fabrics I guess, so keep that in mind when you use this tutorial on stretch. I wanted a peter pan because they are so cutesy (i.e. not my style) but combined with this style and fabric it just adds to the weirdness. So, quirky or just plain hideous, whatever you might call this sweater, I love wearing it :). I'm curious what you think of it (not you Daphne, I know what you're thinking ;)), is it weird in a good or bad way?

11 comments:

  1. Ooh.... Not posting a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha I love that it's an ode to grace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And i'm not sure about the sweater, When I saw the post I thought it was a thriftstore treasure waiting for a remake.... (so you ahieved the look) And I think I might actually like it. Not sure. It reminds me of my horseriding clothes of when i was young.

      Delete
    2. Exactly! It might be ugly but it's part of who we were. I guess.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful colours: reminds of jewels or sweets. Well done!

    I had to google 90s sweaters. I got pictures of what I'd call 80s sweaters which I may have worn briefly before deciding to go goth/army surplus. The difference is that back then they were acrylic, not wool, and felt neither warm nor tactile. The current craze for Nordic sweaters is a great thing, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianna! I think they were popular throughout both 80's and early 90's. I never wore them, I too was having my punk phase back then :)

      Delete
  4. Definitely weird in a good way. I would never choose those colors to put together, but I'm glad someone did. Sweater gives off a cool vibe of nonchalance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's an unusual combination for sure. I'd never wear purple otherwise but it sort of fits in here.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!