This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Lessons from GBSB


Have you been watching the Great British Sewing Bee? Did you like it? I loved it. Apart from the joy of watching other people sew, I liked that it gives sewing some exposure. I mean, our (mostly online) sewing community is usually a world quite hidden from the rest of our lives and those who don't sew. Since we've started a pattern business I'm having a hard time changing my story. You know, when people ask you what you do. My algae story is a very clear one and people usually find it interesting. It sounds like I'm contributing something to this world. But when I say I'm starting a sewing pattern company, the response is mixed. "Do people still sew? They need patterns to do this? And they're willing to pay money for these patterns?" Apart from people questioning the validity of such a company, it looks like I'm going down a level on the educational/intelligence scale. If I want to explain further, I have to add that drawing patterns requires a lot of mathematics, transforming 2D to 3D, and so on. For me there's both a skill challenge and a mental challenge in sewing. I think a show like GBSB helps the non-sewing world to understand what sewing entails. And I think it's great that more people will give sewing a go.



What I also noticed on the show is that when you have time, you can get anything done. I would probably sew exactly the same way as most of the non-finalists did: Try something, and when it doesn't work, rip it out and try again. That's how I sew at home, too, because you have plenty of time for do-overs. What the winner had over the other contestants, is that she usually got it right the first time. That's what experience does, but I think this is also something you can practice. Be more precise. Think it through. Don't rush. Try to get it right the first time. I suspect this will save time eventually, and it will help you master a technique faster. I think I'm going to work on this from now on. What do you think?

[Watch GBSB on Youtube]

13 comments:

  1. Great article, I'm from Turkey, so I didn't know about that TV show in UK. Thanks for posting this. Also, it really interested me that you said "Try something, and when it doesn't work, rip it out and try again. That's how I sew at home, too, because you have plenty of time for do-overs. What the winner had over the other contestants, is that she usually got it right the first time.", I think sewing is something you have to be serios about. Mature, devoted, calm and full patience. Only then, you can make a good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to think of it, I think a lot of things would work out better if you'd be mature and calm about it... It's just hard sometimes, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Absolutely, couldn't agree more. I've loved watching the show, but if I had to quibble - the time frames kinda made things seem unreasonable. The whole "oh, I just whipped this up last night' thing frustrates me now end, not just because I'm a sewing tortoise, also because it feeds into the whole fast fashion mantra. It does make good tv though... I'm envious the Brits got to get exposure to it!
    How maddening that people would react that way to your endeavours - You're on the front line re-educating people! It never ceases to amaze me that if something doesn't exists in someone's fish-bowl, then they have a hard time imagining other people would take interest in it. Some of my closest friends still don't get just how much sewing means to me. Soldier on, captain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the show on youtube, if anyone wants to watch it that can't on the BBC site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8te1WAO20I

    I really enjoyed it, I thought it would be something like Project Runway but it is completely different. I really like the emphasis on technique and the lack of personal drama. I think the person who won really deserved it. She reminded me a lot of my grandma with her no nonsense approach and saying that she would rather do something that she has time for well instead of trying to rush something else. I think that's where a lot of the contestants went wrong, they picked too time consuming things and then had to rush them and they turned out sloppy.

    I wish they would give the contestants of Project Runway one of these challenges because I think some of them would fail horribly at following pattern directions and executing techniques properly, some of them get pretty sloppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the links Lesley! I also liked the emphasis on techniques and not personal drama. I feel like it really represented what sewing is about. Well except for that timeframe of course...

      Delete
  4. I'm in the US so I've only read about the show. I will have to check it out on YouTube! I sounds really cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in the US and watched the series on YouTube. I absolutely loved it! Yes, practice and experience really show. I too am glad that the act of sewing got so much exposure.

    I also enjoy watching you (and other bloggers) develop patterns, drape, sew etc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the show too and I did a big "YAY" when I heard the call for contestants for a second series, even though I'm not in the UK. I really hear what you are saying with the career change. I have a PhD in biochemistry, but I choose to make money on the side sewing cushion covers for people rather than doing science, which I gave up 10 years ago when my first son was born. It is stress-free, but requires enough skill and calculation to be interesting (I only do it here and there). Best of all, I am my own boss, can take on as much or little work as I like and have plenty of time left for my family and, of course, my sewing. Stand proud and follow your dream, then you can look back and feel happy you did it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! I won't let other people hold me back, but it's just a bit tiring to have to explain things like that. Good thing that you don't let it get to you! Lots of people understand exactly why you did it.

      Delete
  7. I love that you have started a pattern company and can envision you having great success with it. Your designs have been original and very attractive.

    I too watched the show online. I'm hoping it gets picked up for a US version. I did very much like that they skipped all the personal drama and wonder if a US version would be able to resist throwing that "reality" bent to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliment Barbara! It's comments like yours that strengthen my belief in this choice!

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!